The top five reasons why Windows Vista failed

On Friday, Microsoft gave computer makers a six-month extension for offering Windows XP on newly-shipped PCs. While this doesn’t impact enterprise IT — because volume licensing agreements will allow IT to keep installing Windows XP for many years to come — the move is another symbolic nail in Vista’s coffin.
The public reputation of Windows Vista is in shambles, as Microsoft itself tacitly acknowledged in its Mojave ad campaign.
IT departments are largely ignoring Vista. In June (18 months after Vista’s launch), Forrester Research reported that just 8.8% of enterprise PCs worldwide were running Vista. Meanwhile, Microsoft appears to have put Windows 7 on an accelerated schedule that could see it released in 2010. That will provide IT departments with all the justification they need to simply skip Vista and wait to eventually standardize on Windows 7 as the next OS for business.
So how did Vista get left holding the bag? Let’s look at the five most important reasons why Vista failed.
The top five reasons why Windows Vista failed | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

I guess I'm in the Minority here, but I LIKE Vista. What's been overlooked by so many people are the little extras, improved features, the stuff that makes Operating a PC easier. Visual clues, breadcrumb system and lots more.

I go back to EVERY OS in the 8080 line including DOS1.1, every Windows OS and lots of MS beta testing . Bottom line for me - it improves my user experience and is the best to date.

My Computer

The problem is most can't afford to upgrade software for Vista. Older software does not always work well in Vista.

I agree with this. A good example of this would be Nero 7. Doesn't work in Vista :mad: I do not even think that Office 03 works in Vista as well. Both of those titles are costly upgrades.... Luckily for me, I was able to get a copy of Office 07 thru my school student program and Nero 8 from a friend.

Other upgrades to consider are hardware components. What was the latest and greatest 4 years ago probably will not run Vista or run it well enough to be productive.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home Brew
    CPU
    Intel E7200
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
    Memory
    Kingston 4GB DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATi Radeon HD3870 PCIe
    Sound Card
    Creative Labs Audigy 2
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 940BW
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 7200.10 SATAII 250GB x2 RAID 0
    Western Digital 640AAKS
    PSU
    Antec Neo550
    Case
    Antec P180
    Cooling
    Zalman 9500
    Keyboard
    Logitech S510 Combo
    Mouse
    Logitech S510 Combo
    Internet Speed
    Comcast @ 10Mb
Well said abuburair. And Michael makes a good point about Software. It take a long time to get comfortable with some software. That and the high cost of replacing it is a deterrent for many.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Scratch Built
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core 6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5B
    Memory
    4096 MB Xtreme-Dark 800mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Zotac Amp Edition 8800GT - 512MB DDR3, O/C 700mhz
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 206BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680 X 1024
    Hard Drives
    4 X Samsung 500GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-II HDD w. 16MB Cache .
    PSU
    550 w
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    3 x octua NF-S12-1200 - 120mm 1200RPM Sound Optimised Fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Targus
    Internet Speed
    1500kbs
    Other Info
    Self built.
The problem is most can't afford to upgrade software for Vista. Older software does not always work well in Vista.

I agree with this. A good example of this would be Nero 7. Doesn't work in Vista :mad: I do not even think that Office 03 works in Vista as well. Both of those titles are costly upgrades.... Luckily for me, I was able to get a copy of Office 07 thru my school student program and Nero 8 from a friend.

Other upgrades to consider are hardware components. What was the latest and greatest 4 years ago probably will not run Vista or run it well enough to be productive.

i'm using office '03 and nero 7. Early on there was a problem with nero, but now you can get an update for it here Nero - Nero 7 - Update. I use it everyday. I think if you're having a lot of compatibility issues you might check to see fi you have SP1 installed. That's a BIG FIX for a lot of things as well. So there's no need to upgrade to nero 8 if you already have 7. Just get that update, i think its around 400 megabytes.

Also, i'm thinking, if you have problems with office '03, you might check microsoft update for the office updates. There are several.

My Computer

i'm using office '03 and nero 7. Early on there was a problem with nero, but now you can get an update for it here Nero - Nero 7 - Update. I use it everyday. I think if you're having a lot of compatibility issues you might check to see fi you have SP1 installed. That's a BIG FIX for a lot of things as well. So there's no need to upgrade to nero 8 if you already have 7. Just get that update, i think its around 400 megabytes.

Also, i'm thinking, if you have problems with office '03, you might check microsoft update for the office updates. There are several.

I remember having issues with Nero 7, so I ended up with Nero 8. I got it from a friend and it works fine. I do have SP1 installed. You would have noticed from the left side column ;).

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home Brew
    CPU
    Intel E7200
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
    Memory
    Kingston 4GB DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATi Radeon HD3870 PCIe
    Sound Card
    Creative Labs Audigy 2
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 940BW
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 640AAKS
    PSU
    Antec Neo550
    Case
    Antec P180
    Cooling
    Zalman 9500
    Keyboard
    Logitech S510 Combo
    Mouse
    Logitech S510 Combo
    Internet Speed
    Comcast @ 10Mb
But most people don't have software that flat out won't work in Vista, software they can't do without anyway. If they have to buy a Vista version of anti-virus software, oh ow huge investment. Unless they have been living in a cave and rely on nearly 10 year old versions of things like Office and (the old shareware) Mozilla, I doubt they'll run into much trouble.

People who absolutely CANNOT upgrade to Vista due to some very absolute need to run a strict vertical "cannot run on anything but THIS" application, well.. they already *know* they can't upgrade, so they are not part of the equation and they will stick to their Windows 3.1 on their 386 or whatever.

My Computer

I've not come across any problems yet with any of my old software, so far all of them have installed without any trouble and that includes Nero 7 Essentials which came with the system on CD for me to install.

One good thing about this machine is that it didn't come with manufacturers crapware installed so that saved me a job. ;)

I love Vista, I still have an XP machine running here which my husband uses plus a WinME machine that is used occasionally and is a spare machine that my daughter can use when she comes if she forgets her laptop. :cool:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy x360 Convertible 15-bq0xx
    CPU
    AMD A9 Stoney Ridge Technology
    Motherboard
    HP 8312 (Socket FP4)
    Memory
    8.00GB Dual-Channel Unknown (?-0-0-0)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz) 512MB ATI AMD Radeon R5
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Aud
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor on AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    119GB SanDisk SD8SN8U-128G-1006 (SSD)
    931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse
    Internet Speed
    62.86Mbps down 18.19Mbps up
    Other Info
    EPSON78D0CF (XP-332 335 Series) (Default Printer)
From a pure business/revenue standpoint, Vista did not fail, even though it didn't get the "wow factor" MS was hoping for... Home users generally don't downgrade to XP unless they've been exposed to the negative buzz around it, and it's perfectly normal for business to lag behind in adoption. The exact same thing happened to XP, since all the companies I worked for or visited were running Windows 2000 Pro in 2004/2005... It wasn't until MS officially pulled the plug on Win2K that they actually started upgrading to XP.

However, from a marketing/brand image standpoint it did, in fact, fail. Vista was expected to be Microsoft's OS X, i.e. an operating system that creates pride of ownership. However, the exact opposite happened, and despite the fact that the rollout wasn't that much different from all previous releases, and people encountered the same driver problems and performance issues they did back in the early 00s (especially on older machines), the wave of hate it generated is unprecedented. I personally believe it to be a result of Microsoft's failure to adapt to the dramatic shifts in the PC landscape that have happened since 2001.

The Blogosphere:
-----------------
Blogs barely existed during the rollout of Windows XP, and technology pundits usually tend to be very professional in their writing style, and their criticism has to be objectively weighed or at least appear that way. On blogs, however, rumors spread like wildfire, bandwagon effects are much more prominent, and as much as one valid criticism generates a thousand "ad hominems", thereby amplifying the original criticism and blowing it out of proportion.

Overheated Expectations:
-------------------------
The original Longhorn project was very, very audacious and, therefore, infeasible.... However, the premature release of development plans caused people to expect Vista to have everything they can imagine, even a kitchen sink...

"Open Sourcerers":
------------------
There is nothing wrong with open source... as long as it's presented as a business decision for a specific line of products rather than a religion... The Blogosphere seems to be dominated by Richard Stallman types who believe all software should be free, and releasing anything commercially or trying to gain market share is a crime against humanity... They might be a minority, but typically they are the firestarters, and they have an enormous influence on the Internet's general consensus. From the nature of comments, it appears that today's CNet is yesterday's Slashdot. The proportion of Vista-hating posts that mention Linux by far exceeds its actual market share. Again, there's nothing wrong with Linux, but some people feel that it somehow makes them superior to everyone else. Whereas the open source community is known for "religious wars" (Gnome vs. KDE, PHP versus Python, emacs versus vi), business-oriented users try to make rational decisions based on the relative merits of each product, and it's not uncommon to see mixed infrastructures where OSS and commercial software deployments peacefully coexist... But the most zealous folks are the ones making most of the noise.

I personally believe there is some truth to the Mojave Experiment despite it being conducted by Microsoft. Most people who avoid Vista either out of conformity (without even trying it) or based on company-specific business decisions (e.g. if they have very old software that doesn't run on Vista). From my personal experience, people who weren't exposed to all the buzz generally liked it. And it seems like people have forgotten that in the Age of XP, most valid attacks on Windows had to do with security. That's the problem that Vista was quite successful at solving by making some trade-offs in performance and usability... but now all of a sudden everyone's screaming "performance"... after trying to run it on a machine it wasn't written for. Then again, there's another trade-off... Hardware requirements vs. performance on top-notch hardware.

Oh well.... I personally believe that Microsoft should try to somehow shed its "evil" stigma and solve the "hate problem" that seems to be getting out of control. In my opinion, MS is neither Good nor Evil. It's just a company. Like any other company, it has strengths and weaknesses. Like any other company, it wants to make profit and get market share. But other companies manage to get away with much more trouble than Vista's worst nightmares. Try to imagine what would have happened if MS started transitioning everyone to a non-x86 platform, breaking compatibility and announced that Visual Studio 2010 would need a paid upgrade to run on the new platform... There would probably be riots in the streets. But Apple did it to its own users without any damage to its reputation. I'm not saying that Microsoft should shoot for being able to pull off the same trick. However, it should look for ways to prevent minor but valid criticisms or general skepticism from turning into a colossal wave of hate.

My Computer

Well thought out post.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 5920gmi notebook
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.00GHz
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800 x 4294967296 colors
    Internet Speed
    crawl
Great post.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home Brew
    CPU
    Intel E7200
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
    Memory
    Kingston 4GB DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATi Radeon HD3870 PCIe
    Sound Card
    Creative Labs Audigy 2
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 940BW
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 640AAKS
    PSU
    Antec Neo550
    Case
    Antec P180
    Cooling
    Zalman 9500
    Keyboard
    Logitech S510 Combo
    Mouse
    Logitech S510 Combo
    Internet Speed
    Comcast @ 10Mb
I try to take these articles of a grain of salt. You don’t really need to have a reporter’s or other bloggers’ opinions on trends of vista or any topics that have some sort of “political” nature to it. Here’s some research I did based on generally accepted statistics. One conclusion that I have made was that windows remains the most pirated software ever. LOL if Even still Microsoft has made a killing on it. Here, you decide for yourself.

OK here’s some rough calculations:

18.33% of internet users are Vista
Market share for browsers, operating systems and search engines

1.46 billion internet users
World Internet Usage Statistics News and World Population Stats

Assuming the usage rate is consistent around the world…
1.46 billion * 18.33% = 268 million Vista internet users

The actually user base would be significantly less than the above number only if for some reason, Vista users surf the internet WAY MORE than all other OS's to skew the percentage up to 18.33%. It’s probably more likely that that some Vista users don’t use the internet much because it’s for work mostly. Hence there is likely more than 268 million Vista users.

Hitslink logs statistics in the “rich” (and more regulated) demographics. Here Vista adoption is probably held back a little by expense. So that could mean that Vista adoption in other “poorer” (Gov’t don’t give a crap) nations is much greater than 18.33% since you can like buy it at the local fruit shop for like $1, etc.

NationMaster - Software piracy rate (most recent) by country

Hey, if you include ALL of Asia? 500 million Vista users??? ;)

Also, check this out...

Vista - a $6 Billion Dollars Operating System
Vista - a $6 Billion Dollars Operating System - The best billions Bill Gates has ever spent - Softpedia

I don't really know what the markup of it is but for simplicity let's assume that they make $100 off each license on average (which is a conservative estimate wouldn't you say?).

If my math is correct, that's $18 billion dollars as of the last public claim of 180 million copies sold.

Microsoft: 180 million Vista licenses now sold
Microsoft: 180 million Vista licenses now sold
If my math is correct again...that's TRIPLE the initial costs!

Of course they likely spent a little more after-market like for Jerry Seinfeld and stuff like that but I don't think it’s anywhere near $12 billion dollars.

My Computer

Imho;

Windows XP - The best desktop OS available for randomly put together PC hardware.
Windows Vista - The best desktop OS available for a thought through hardware setup.
OSX - The best desktop OS for Apple hardware.
Linux - The only reasonable OS to use for really old hardware. It'll be a pain to get it working but, once it's up and running, it's pretty much maintenance free.

For me to judge Vista as a full success would require it to have the 2 first slots of "criteria". That doesn't mean I see Vista as a failure though, it's just not as successful as it should have been.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X2 6000+
    Motherboard
    ASRock ALiveXfire-eSATA2
    Memory
    2x2GiB DDR2 PC2-6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeCube ATI Radeon HD3870 512MiB GDDR4
    Sound Card
    Built in HD Audio, digital output
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 206BW, SyncMaster 940B
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 + 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    WDC 250GB SATA + lots of externals. :)
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 500W
    Case
    Antec Sonata III
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (1st edition w blue lightning)
    Mouse
    Logitech G9
    Internet Speed
    DL/UL: 50/10Mbit
I agree. I think Vista was a success, both for Microsoft and for those who use it. I am convinced a lot of the hype surrounding it's "failure" is unjustified tripe by people trying to sell something else.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Scratch Built
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core 6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5B
    Memory
    4096 MB Xtreme-Dark 800mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Zotac Amp Edition 8800GT - 512MB DDR3, O/C 700mhz
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 206BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680 X 1024
    Hard Drives
    4 X Samsung 500GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-II HDD w. 16MB Cache .
    PSU
    550 w
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    3 x octua NF-S12-1200 - 120mm 1200RPM Sound Optimised Fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Targus
    Internet Speed
    1500kbs
    Other Info
    Self built.
Vista Fails IF your pc cannot handle it, IF you got it with a store bought pc. I have been running it since it's release and have yet to have an issue I would consider a failing point

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    self built
    CPU
    AMD ATHLON 64 DUAL CORE 6000+ X86
    Motherboard
    ASUS NVIDIA nFORCE 560 SLI
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 8600GT 1GB
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD SOUND
    Monitor(s) Displays
    DELL ULTRASHARP
    Screen Resolution
    1600X1200
    Hard Drives
    HITACHI 320GB
    PSU
    N/A
    Case
    N/A
Vista Fails IF your pc cannot handle it, IF you got it with a store bought pc. I have been running it since it's release and have yet to have an issue I would consider a failing point

Yea, Microsfot shouldn't have made people believe it "Vista Basic" would work on so many PC's. People don't listen and will do full Aero on their 5 year old machines.

And all those major brands are stupid. They had no clue waht they were doing but wanted to rush out hte "first line of Vista models" without consideration testing it properly and understanding it.

My Computer

It is up to the user to have common sense. I don't blame Microsoft and vendors. Some users are just plain stupid. How do you run a new OS on old hardware that is not supported? Vista works great, if you build around it. You have to put the right hardware under it.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
It is up to the user to have common sense. I don't blame Microsoft and vendors. Some users are just plain stupid. How do you run a new OS on old hardware that is not supported? Vista works great, if you build around it. You have to put the right hardware under it.

I guess in these days, which comes first? The computer or the OS.
Answer: The Microsoft OS. :p

My Computer

I have told users for 20+ years. You choose your OS and build around its requirements and improvements. You need to make sure your hardware fully supports the OS and have drivers to function with it.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
I run a small time computer repair business.

Usually I don't get calls from people who buy new HP computers, the Geek Squad usually handles that, but I did get calls from one insurance salesman and one electrician who returned new HP laptops to Best Buy because there were no Vista drivers for HP1012s..

I think that kind of stuff hurt more than anything, and that's not really Microsoft's fault. HP simply refused to create Vista drivers for some of it's older printers.

My Computer

I adopted Vista during the worst of the anti-Vista hype to see if I could find reasons to hate it.

Well, now I'm here, on my fully licenced Vista Ultimate x64. The only OS I've ever purchased.

For me, Vista is the best OS I've ever touched.

Now, for the average user, I find that Vista does have it's issues, but it's mostly because of poor setups.
1) Driver issues, mainly because people don't know where to find drivers
2) Hardware issues. Because the people selling them machines are trying their hardest to sell the trash
3) UAC makes users hate Vista. I don't care if it's more secure, and nor does anyone else. Scrap the crap.
4) It comes with IE built in. That's a fundemental failure.
5) Aero is on by default, making hardware issues worse.

But, all in all, it's the most stable, secure and easy to use OS yet. It's just plagued by a bad reputation and misfortune from mostly external sources.

Don't put Vista on your 2005 hardware and you might not get any problems.

-----

Also, let's not blame the users. I'm in one of the UKs top Unis, and I'm the only person in a building of 50 who can service computers and use them effectively. I don't blame them, I help them instead.
Now, if I'm in a place full of some of the brightest minds in the country, how can I call them stupid for not fully understanding what I know when it's not in their interests?

The failure is by the vendors who screw over the users. Microsoft and their bundled software are also part to blame. I feel sorry for people still using IE. And I ensure to convert the majority I meet IRL to Opera.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD 6000+ (3.0Ghz Dual)
    Motherboard
    ASUS KN9 SLI
    Memory
    2*1GB PC8300 1066Mhz OCUK Value RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    2* Nvidia GeForce 9600GT
    Sound Card
    Onboard