The top five reasons why Windows Vista failed

On Friday, Microsoft gave computer makers a six-month extension for offering Windows XP on newly-shipped PCs. While this doesn’t impact enterprise IT — because volume licensing agreements will allow IT to keep installing Windows XP for many years to come — the move is another symbolic nail in Vista’s coffin.
The public reputation of Windows Vista is in shambles, as Microsoft itself tacitly acknowledged in its Mojave ad campaign.
IT departments are largely ignoring Vista. In June (18 months after Vista’s launch), Forrester Research reported that just 8.8% of enterprise PCs worldwide were running Vista. Meanwhile, Microsoft appears to have put Windows 7 on an accelerated schedule that could see it released in 2010. That will provide IT departments with all the justification they need to simply skip Vista and wait to eventually standardize on Windows 7 as the next OS for business.
So how did Vista get left holding the bag? Let’s look at the five most important reasons why Vista failed.
The top five reasons why Windows Vista failed | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

people says Vista sucks . . . but still they use it ! ! !
So who's the sucker?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq
    CPU
    intel core 2 duo T 5550 @ 1.83 MHz
    Motherboard
    intel 965 chipset family
    Memory
    2 GB DDR 2 SD RAM @ 667 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    On board upto 358 MB RAM
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15"
    Hard Drives
    160 GB WDC
So who's the sucker?

Hypocrites! :sarc:

Vista really failed with a lot of business users. With so many businesses using computers that work fine for what they use them for, why upgrade? Then again, with the hardware requirements that Vista has, it is not worth upgrading something that is not broke. A lot of businesses (like mine) use computers that get the job done, but are more then 3 years old.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home Brew
    CPU
    Intel E7200
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
    Memory
    Kingston 4GB DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATi Radeon HD3870 PCIe
    Sound Card
    Creative Labs Audigy 2
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 940BW
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 7200.10 SATAII 250GB x2 RAID 0
    Western Digital 640AAKS
    PSU
    Antec Neo550
    Case
    Antec P180
    Cooling
    Zalman 9500
    Keyboard
    Logitech S510 Combo
    Mouse
    Logitech S510 Combo
    Internet Speed
    Comcast @ 10Mb
buisnesses will always be the last to upgrade as they have to weigh the overall costs of additional software develpoment and hardware upgrades which for alot of company's is not a viable solution so they shore up for bigger changes over a longer period of time with support for xp being continued for some time it will be the next version of windows after 7 that people change to or if microsoft pull there fhead out of the sand long enough and realise they would be better building an os purely for buisness that could be supported by them in a more streamlined manner that had absolutly nothing to do with there comercial os's apart from being able to run the same apps like graphics and photo editing as well as office apps and lose the support for games and other such things they could generalise less and make that system perfect for buisness.

just a thought for microsoft though

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    me
    CPU
    intel Q6600 @3.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    gigabyte EP35C DS3R
    Memory
    8 GB OCZ 1066 HPC REAPER
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire 4870 HD 1024mb gddr5
    Monitor(s) Displays
    lg flatron 20.1
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    western digital 350gb
    samsung spinpoint 120gb
    PSU
    900w
    Case
    thermaltake aguila
    Cooling
    2x 120mm 2x 10cm
None of my vendors are supporting Vista or 64-bit currently. They require DEP and UAC be disabled. Users must have local administrator rights to run their software.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
I get the feeling they rushed to get Vista out hence the driver issues at the start. Since service pack 1 it has been much more stable. Vista really likes to have lots of hardware and if your lucky enough to have that then vista is nice and smooth. I personally wouldn't go back to XP after having used Vista for 6 months.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self built
    CPU
    Intel E8400 3GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DX48BT2
    Memory
    Kingston PC3-10666 4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX 9800 GTX XXX
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2x Samsung SM-T220HD 22"
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 on two monitors
    Hard Drives
    WD Raptor X/150Gb in RAID0
    WD Raptor 36gb
    3x Samsung F1 1Tb
    PSU
    Thermaltake ToughPower 850w
    Case
    Thermaltake Armor
    Cooling
    Tuniq Tower 120
    Keyboard
    Dell Multimedia Enhanced USB
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback 3G
    Internet Speed
    8128/832
    Other Info
    Thermaltake Muse esata caddy
buisnesses will always be the last to upgrade as they have to weigh the overall costs of additional software develpoment and hardware upgrades which for alot of company's is not a viable solution so they shore up for bigger changes over a longer period of time with support for xp being continued for some time it will be the next version of windows after 7 that people change to or if microsoft pull there fhead out of the sand long enough and realise they would be better building an os purely for buisness that could be supported by them in a more streamlined manner that had absolutly nothing to do with there comercial os's apart from being able to run the same apps like graphics and photo editing as well as office apps and lose the support for games and other such things they could generalise less and make that system perfect for buisness.

just a thought for microsoft though

I agree with your statement. Businesses really only upgrade when they must. Usually that is after their current computer is dead, dying, or just doesn't work will with newer software.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home Brew
    CPU
    Intel E7200
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
    Memory
    Kingston 4GB DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATi Radeon HD3870 PCIe
    Sound Card
    Creative Labs Audigy 2
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 940BW
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 7200.10 SATAII 250GB x2 RAID 0
    Western Digital 640AAKS
    PSU
    Antec Neo550
    Case
    Antec P180
    Cooling
    Zalman 9500
    Keyboard
    Logitech S510 Combo
    Mouse
    Logitech S510 Combo
    Internet Speed
    Comcast @ 10Mb
well the reason its not doing well is because for your average PC user like me there are too many problems so we dont want to risk buying it.

i did take that risk for my new pc which arrived yesterday, went with windows home premium 64bit and im regretting it straight away :(

i have so many problems as soon as i booted the pc.
1. cant open AVG as it says "side by side configiration incorrect"
2. cant delete AVG (was going to reinstall to see if that fixed the above problem) and other files.
3. cant download anything at all (finishes the download then nothing is actually downloaded to the desktop, or if i run instead of save it finishes the download then nothing happens)

This as made the pc basically useless since its a brand new pc and i have to download the needed programs, files, patches etc

That is why XP is so much better for your average Jo like me since i didnt have a problem with that for the 6+ years ive used it.

My Computer

well the reason its not doing well is because for your average PC user like me there are too many problems so we dont want to risk buying it.

i did take that risk for my new pc which arrived yesterday, went with windows home premium 64bit and im regretting it straight away :(

i have so many problems as soon as i booted the pc.
1. cant open AVG as it says "side by side configiration incorrect"
2. cant delete AVG (was going to reinstall to see if that fixed the above problem) and other files.
3. cant download anything at all (finishes the download then nothing is actually downloaded to the desktop, or if i run instead of save it finishes the download then nothing happens)

This as made the pc basically useless since its a brand new pc and i have to download the needed programs, files, patches etc

That is why XP is so much better for your average Jo like me since i didnt have a problem with that for the 6+ years ive used it.

Hi Suny.....

what you should have said was...
''well the reason its not doing well is because for your average (older) *PC* there are too many problems so we don't want to risk buying it.''

Vista is a new animal, XP cant really be compared as they work completely different.
older tech was always gonna struggle with Vista regardless of what M$ said.

you say your machine is brand new ?? what are the specs ??

also any pre built machines....HP, DELL, GATEWAY, EMACHINES with its own pre determined partitions & manufacturers bloatware will have no end of problems while installing a new OS, b/c they're crap weaves its way into everything.

install SP1 if you have not already done so...

:)SK

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ME.....
    CPU
    Q9450 @ 3.6ghz
    Motherboard
    P5K PREMIUM
    Memory
    8GB 1066mhz buffalo firestix
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD 5970
    Monitor(s) Displays
    20'' syncmaster
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    160GB 7200RPM SEAGATE BARRACUDA IDE
    160GB 7200RPM SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA 2
    PSU
    XCILIO 850w
    Case
    unknown ATX
    Cooling
    Arctic cooler pro 775
    Keyboard
    logitech EX110
    Mouse
    logitech cordless optical
    Internet Speed
    2mb
hi,
its a custom built pc (i bought the components but someone else put it all togther for me).
everything included was brand new

Quad core 2 Q9650
EVGA Nvidia Nforce 750i SLI FTW
Corsair DDR2 4GB
EVGA 896mb Geforce GTX260 superclocked
Windows vista home premium 64bit

i will be asking the guy who built the pc for me to come around on monday to fix these problems but thought i would look around the net first to see if i could find answers for myself

UPDATE
i deleted the files that i could in the AVG folder. most of the ones that i as not able to delete were .DLL files. that seems to have fixed the downloading problem as i just downloaded AVG from the net with no problems at all :)

should i open up a new topic asking for help instead of talking about it here since it is going off topic a little

My Computer

yes open a new thread ...unless there is an existing one which pertains to the problem.

:)SK

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ME.....
    CPU
    Q9450 @ 3.6ghz
    Motherboard
    P5K PREMIUM
    Memory
    8GB 1066mhz buffalo firestix
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD 5970
    Monitor(s) Displays
    20'' syncmaster
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    160GB 7200RPM SEAGATE BARRACUDA IDE
    160GB 7200RPM SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA 2
    PSU
    XCILIO 850w
    Case
    unknown ATX
    Cooling
    Arctic cooler pro 775
    Keyboard
    logitech EX110
    Mouse
    logitech cordless optical
    Internet Speed
    2mb
So who's the sucker?

That's not really true. most of the people who complain don't use it. Specially since those with legit problems can get a XP downgrade.

I roughtly estimate that 80% of all people who complain have no idea whatsoever about how well vista actually works today. (I have nothing to back this number with, it's just my own personal impression. That means if there is such a number it probably isn't as bad as I think. :) )

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X2 6000+
    Motherboard
    ASRock ALiveXfire-eSATA2
    Memory
    2x2GiB DDR2 PC2-6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeCube ATI Radeon HD3870 512MiB GDDR4
    Sound Card
    Built in HD Audio, digital output
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 206BW, SyncMaster 940B
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 + 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    WDC 250GB SATA + lots of externals. :)
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 500W
    Case
    Antec Sonata III
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (1st edition w blue lightning)
    Mouse
    Logitech G9
    Internet Speed
    DL/UL: 50/10Mbit
Most I know who tried Vista switched back to XP.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID

I know people who tried XP and switched back to Windows 2000...

Nothing will change when Windows7 gets released, they better smarten up and start leaning Vista because Windows 7 will have all the same features and many more so if they Fail at using Vista they will defiantly Fail with Windows 7 ;)

My Computer

I still use XP and I'm so used to Vista I forget where everything is at in XP.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Compaq Presario/SR5113WM
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ 1.9Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N68-LA
    Memory
    PNY Optima Memory DDR2 2GB 2x1 kit
    Graphics Card(s)
    PNY Nvidia 8400 GS 256MB
    Sound Card
    On board RealTek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer X163W LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 160 GB SATA 3G (3.0Gb/sec)
    7200 rpm
    Western Digital 160 GB IDE
    PSU
    Dynex 400w
    Case
    Nothin Special
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Standard 102 key with volume and sleep buttons
    Mouse
    Wireless Logitech LX7
    Internet Speed
    Comcrap 10mb cable
    Other Info
    Insignia 2.1 speakers, wireless Xbox 360 controller w/plug n play charger, Belkin wireless G + mimo usb network adapter.
I think it's that people want to stick to that which they are most comfortable with. And are prepared to criticise the new. I remember XP when it first came out. It was sooo buggy, it took 2 service packs to get it to where it wasn't a bad little operating System. Vista is a good system, certainly less buggy and much more powerful, at this stage of it's life, than XP ever was. And, lets face it, anybody who thinks Windows 7 isn't Vista SP3 could be in for a shock.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Scratch Built
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core 6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5B
    Memory
    4096 MB Xtreme-Dark 800mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Zotac Amp Edition 8800GT - 512MB DDR3, O/C 700mhz
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 206BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680 X 1024
    Hard Drives
    4 X Samsung 500GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-II HDD w. 16MB Cache .
    PSU
    550 w
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    3 x octua NF-S12-1200 - 120mm 1200RPM Sound Optimised Fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Targus
    Internet Speed
    1500kbs
    Other Info
    Self built.
I have come to really appreciate Vista. It came on my new laptop, and I thought "oh, boy, here we go, now I need to go buy another license for XP while I still can", but I waited and worked with Vista and I really love it. I have not encountered any difficulties using it that were the operating system's fault. Once I got used to it, I very much appreciated the new security built in. Vista really is an improvment on something that was great. How much more can we ask? Sigh, now I need to go out a buy another Vista licence for my desktop PC while I still can. Ha! It never ends
D

My Computer

If the people you know have old, decrepid machines with little RAM, slow processors, and junk video cards, then yeah I can see them going back to XP.

Since all of my computers are newer and have decent specs, Vista runs nicely on them. I actively avoid XP whenever possible.

My Computer

So far, I've got two computers running with Vista. One with home premium the other with ultimate. Other than some minor issues, Vista has worked well for me on both computers. Looking forward to the future OS Windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 X 1 GB DDR2 Kingston 800 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 8800 GT 512 MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    3360x1050
    Hard Drives
    320 GB Internal Main
    500 GB USB External
    160 GB USB External
    2TB USB External
    Internet Speed
    DSL 3MB
The problem is most can't afford to upgrade software for Vista. Older software does not always work well in Vista.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
i have two new computers one is running with vista home and the second which belongs to my daughter is running with xp. we are both happy and i hope you, too, must be happy!!

My Computer

Back