No Internet Access

Ace!

I'm working on restoring our old Compaq computer, and I can only get the prompt to connect with an Ethernet cord. I have all the normal drivers, and it's still in decent working order. Do I need to just suck it up and use the Ethernet cord, or is there a way to get actual access via Wifi?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Vista 32
Hi Ace! :

What is the model of your Compaq computer and make/model of your WiFi/wireless adapter (look under "Network Adapters" in Device Manager). Does the Compaq support page for your computer model still list Vista-compatible software and drivers, and if so have you installed the latest available driver for your WiFi/wireless adapter?

Have you tried deleting and re-creating the wireless network connection to your router in your Vista network settings? I did a quick Google search and couldn't find any simple step-by-step instructions for Vista but the 2010 Microsoft Learn article Connecting to Wireless Networks with Windows Vista might be helpful. Post back if you require further assistance with this and I'll see if I can find a better tutorial.

You might find also some useful information in my 23-Jul-2021 post in KarenAllen1's Vista and Wireless Connection in the Microsoft Answers forum. If you have changed your router or router settings (or even updated your router firmware) since the last time you connected this Vista computer via WiFi then make special note of the comments in the last paragraph of that post, since it is possible that the older encryption standards supported by your WiFi/wireless adapter (e.g., WPA2-Personal / AES) are no longer supported by your router. See the How-to Geek article Wi-Fi Security: Should You Use WPA2-AES, WPA2-TKIP, or Both? (last updated March 2023) for more information about WiFi security protocols.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    32-bit Vista SP2 Home Premium
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM