Having problems modifying certain files in vista

benzylique

Hi,

I've been having this problem where I cannot modify (Delete, move, rename files .. etc!) certain files. When I try to do any of the modifying such as deleting... a windows box comes up saying it's trying to delete but nothing happens. It's not being used by any program.... and i've been able to delete the file using safe mode but it's a bit of a hastle to do that everytime! If someone could help me that would be much appreciated!!

If it helps... when i open the folder containing one of these files, a windwos vista bubble appears from the bottom right saying something like the viewing mode has been changed to vista basic....

Anyways thanks again for your help!

My Computer

Hi,

I've been having this problem where I cannot modify (Delete, move, rename files .. etc!) certain files. When I try to do any of the modifying such as deleting... a windows box comes up saying it's trying to delete but nothing happens. It's not being used by any program.... and i've been able to delete the file using safe mode but it's a bit of a hastle to do that everytime! If someone could help me that would be much appreciated!!

If it helps... when i open the folder containing one of these files, a windwos vista bubble appears from the bottom right saying something like the viewing mode has been changed to vista basic....

Anyways thanks again for your help!

WAs this a clean install or upgrade? did this hard drive have a previous OS on it?

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
The OS was reinstalled a couple months ago using the recovery disc. And the Harddrive had the same OS as it did before the recovery.

The files that can't be modified at the ones that causes "Windows to temporarily change the color scheme to Windows Vista Basic"

Thanks for helping!

My Computer

The OS was reinstalled a couple months ago using the recovery disc. And the Harddrive had the same OS as it did before the recovery.

The files that can't be modified at the ones that causes "Windows to temporarily change the color scheme to Windows Vista Basic"

Thanks for helping!

Are the files multimedia (video, dvd, etc)? if you right click a file or folder that makes the theme change and click security who owns the files?

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
Hi these files are Video files (mpeg 4 and flv files) I Checked the security on these files and they are owned by my "system"? Sorry I don't know too much about comptuers...

And if i click on the file it doesn't make the theme change... It's when i open a folder containing the file the color scheme changes to vista basic

thanks!

My Computer

Hi these files are Video files (mpeg 4 and flv files) I Checked the security on these files and they are owned by my "system"? Sorry I don't know too much about comptuers...

And if i click on the file it doesn't make the theme change... It's when i open a folder containing the file the color scheme changes to vista basic

thanks!

B

I get the feeling thats your problem you should be owner not system. Try changing one file to see if it makes a difference. Right click the file find owner and edit. remove system if y ou can or add your user name.

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card